Frampton on Severn

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

FRAMPTON-upon-SEVERN, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WHITSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Dursley, containing 996 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £7. 11., endowed with £410 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty. J. Dunsford, Esq. was patron in 1813. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has portions in the decorated style, and a handsome tower with pinnacles. There is a place of worship for Independents. In the year 904, the Danes were overtaken at this place, and attacked by an army of Mercians and West Angles, by whom they were totally routed, and three of their kings slain.

Frampton is situated on the river Frome, near its confluence with the Severn, whence it derives its name. The Gloucester and Berkeley canal passes close to the village. A fair, called Frying-pan fair, is held on the 14th of February. At this place is particularly observable that remarkable influx of the river, at the coming in of the tide, termed "the Hygre", and "the Bore, or Boar": the water rolls in with a head of foam three or four feet high, stretching like a moving weir across the stream. About 1750, the Earl of Berkeley constructed a bulwark near it, called Hock Crib, to prevent the river from encroaching on the land.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/FramptononSevern/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library