St Peter's RC Church, Gloucester

Recent Photograph of St Peter's RC Church (Gloucester)

St Peter's RC has a daring steeple, the top stage of the tower open and carrying a tall broach spire. The church was open...

[Rosemary adds] the present building was erected in 1868, and is now a Listed structure. However the foundation of its congregation can be dated to the 18th century, and a bequest of 1,000 guineas from Mary, the daughter of Sir John Webb of Hatherop, in 1789 to found a mission to the city. The mission was begun by John GREENWAY, who built a small brick chapel behind a house he bought in what is now London Road. The chapel was registered in 1792, and was dedicated to St. Peter ad Vincula. In 1851 it had morning and evening congregations of 110 and 130 respectively.

(Information provided by Phil Draper/Rosemary Lockie)

Reference
A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 4: The City of Gloucester (1988), pp. 319-334.
URL: www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=281


Image contributed by Phil Draper on 16th March 2006.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Gloucester/StPeterRC.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library