Great Barrington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BARRINGTON (GREAT), a parish partly in the hundred of FARRINGDON, county of BERKS, but chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of SLAUGHTER, county of GLOUCESTER, 3¼ miles (N.W.) from Burford, containing 462 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £7. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Lord Dynevor. The church, which stands in the county of Gloucester, is dedicated to St. Mary: it is a handsome edifice, with a tower terminating in battlements and pinnacles, in the latest style of English architecture. The Windrush, a stream tributary to the Thames, runs through the parish. There are quarries of excellent freestone, from which the stone used in the erection and reparation of Westminster Abbey and Blenheim House was dug.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/GreatBarrington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library