Guiting Power

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

GUYTING, or GUYTING-POWER (LOWER), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (S.E. by E.) from Winchcombe, containing, with the chapelry of Framcote, 629 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £14. 19. 5. Francis Lawson, Esq. was patron in 1797. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is in the Norman style of architecture. In Domesday-book five salt pits are recorded to have existed here at the period of the Conquest, but there are no traces of them at present.

FARMCOT, a chapelry in the parish of LOWER GUYTING, lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (E.) from Winchcombe. The population is returned with the parish.

FRAMCOTE, a chapelry in the parish of LOWER-or-POWER-GUYTING, lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (E.) from Winchcombe. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/GuitingPower/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library