Temple Guiting

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

GUYTING (TEMPLE), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Winchcombe, containing 510 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small but handsome edifice, with an embattled tower at the west end; it was probably built by the Knights Templars, who possessed the manor in the thirteenth century.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/GuitingTemple/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library