Hailes

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

HAILES, a chapelry in the parish of DIDBROOK, lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.E. by E.) from Winchcombe, containing 136 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Charles Hanbury Tracey, Esq. In 1246, Richard, Earl of Cornwall, afterwards King of the Romans and Emperor of Germany, erected here, at an expense of ten thousand marks, a noble abbey, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and All Saints, for monks of the Cistercian order, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was estimated at £357. 7. 8.: here are still some slight remains of it.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Hailes/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library