Horsley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

HORSLEY, a parish in the hundred of LONGTREE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (S.W. by W.) from Minchin-Hampton, containing, with a small portion of the chapelry of Nailsworth, 3565 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £7. 11. 5., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. Edward Webb, in 1744, gave £200 in trust for endowing a school, to which, in 1775, Elizabeth Castleman added £30, and Ann Wright £100: the present income is £60 per annum; and one hundred children are instructed on Dr. Bell's plan: the school-room was erected, in 1823, at an expense of £230, defrayed by subscription, aided by contributions from the National School Society in London, and from the Diocesan Society in Gloucester. Here is a house of correction, containing a tread-mill and forty fire-proof cells, or sleeping-rooms, for prisoners, who are divided into five classes. The petty sessions for the district of Longtree are held at Tetbury, Rodborough, and Horsley, in rotation.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Horsley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library