Kempsford

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

KEMPSFORD, a parish in the hundred of BRIGHTWELLS-BARROW, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (S.) from Fairford, containing 838 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £19, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A school was built by subscription, in 1750, upon a site given by Thomas, Lord Viscount Weymouth, who likewise endowed it with £10 per annum for the instruction of children. The rivers Coln, Thames, and Severn, run through the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Kempsford/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library