Kingscote

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

KINGSCOTE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 4miles (N.W. by W.) from Tetbury, containing 266 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Beverstone, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a small edifice with a low embattled tower. A. branch of the river Frome rises here. There are quarries of stone full of petrifactions called Clay-rags, which take a polish, and resemble the Derbyshire marble. At a supposed Roman station, called Chestles, in this parish, have been found coins, tesselated pavements, and a curiously-enamelled fibula.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Kingscote/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library