Lassington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

LASSINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of DUDSTONE-and-KING'S-BARTON, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (N.W.) from Gloucester, containing 52 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £6. 10., and in the patronage of Sir B.W. Guise, Bart., and the Bishop of Gloucester; the former having two presentations, and the latter one. The Herefordshire and Gloucestershire canal runs parallel with the river Leadon, which bounds this parish on the north and east, and falls into the western branch of the Severn near the ancient camp, where both rivers are crossed by the same bridge; here also the canal is crossed by a branch of the Severn, and joins the main branch at Gloucester. The petrifaction called Astroites, or Star-stone, is met with in a hill in this neighbourhood.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Lassington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library