Longhope

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

LONGHOPE, a parish in the duchy of LANCASTER, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (S.W. by S.) from Newent, containing 790 inhabitants, of which number, 503 are in Lower, and 287 in Upper Longhope. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £9. 7. 11., and in the patronage of the Rev. John Probyn. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Courts leet and baron are held annually. An annuity of £5 was given by Mr. Thomas Nourse, for apprenticing one poor boy. May hill, in this parish, forms a land-mark from the Bristol channel;, it is planted with a clump of fir-trees on the summit, and is visible at a considerable distance from all parts of the adjacent country.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Longhope/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library