Mangotsfield

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MANGOTSFIELD, a parish in the hundred of BARTON-REGIS, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (N.E. by E.) from Bristol, containing 3179 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the jurisdiction of the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Bristol, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Thomas Wadham, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. James. There is a place of worship for Independents. Here was once a nunnery, of which part of the cloisters was seen by Leland, but there is not now any vestige of it.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Mangotsfield/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library