Mickleton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MICKLETON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Chipping-Campden, containing, with the hamlets of Lower and Upper Clapton, and Hitcoat-Batrim, 574 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with that of Ebrington, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £9. 14. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Laurence, is partly Norman and partly of later date: attached to it is a school-room, of similar architecture, founded and endowed, in 1513, by Richard Porter, Esq., for teaching poor children. Sunday schools for both sexes have been also established. Richard Graves, a divine, and miscellaneous writer, was born here; he died in 1804.

HIDCOATE-BATRIM, a hamlet in the parish of MICKLETON, upper division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.E.) from Chipping-Campden. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Mickleton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library