Minsterworth

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MINSTERWORTH, a parish in the duchy of LANCASTER, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Gloucester, containing 462 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £10. 13. 4., endowed with £800 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £500 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bristol. The church is dedicated to St. George. The parish is bounded on the east and south by the navigable river Severn, in which is a considerable salmon fishery. A great quantity of cider is made in the neighbourhood. Daniel Ellis, in 1784, bequeathed £100 for the erection of a school, which was built, in 1808, on land given by Jeremiah Hawkins; there is an endowment of £4 per annum, left by Susannah Crump in 1763, and paid to this charity for teaching ten children.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Minsterworth/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library