North Cerney

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CERNEY (NORTH), a parish in the hundred of RAPSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (N.) from Cirencester, containing, with the tythings of Calmsden and Woodmancote, 562 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £21. 10. 7., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Roman Fosse-way traces the eastern boundary of this parish, in which may also be seen vestiges of a Roman fortress with circumvallations. Races are annually held here.

CALMSDEN, a tything in the parish of NORTH CERNEY, hundred of RAPSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (N.N.E.) from Cirencester. The population is returned with the parish.

WOODMANCOTE, a tything in the parish of NORTH-CERNEY, hundred of RAPSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Cirencester. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/NorthCerney/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library