Oakridge

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

OAKRIDGE is a hamlet and village, near the Thames and Severn canal, and was formed into an ecclesiastical parish Aug. 10, 1849, from the parish of Bisley; it is 1¾ miles east from Chalford station on the Swindon, Stroud and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway, 6 east from Stroud and 14 south-east from Gloucester, in the Stroud division of the county, hundred and civil parish of Bisley, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Stroud, rural deanery of Bisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester.

The church of St. Bartholomew is a modern building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and one bell: there is a memorial window to the Rev. Charles Raymond Barker M.A.Oxon. first vicar of this parish, and two others to the late Mrs. and Miss Birtwhistle respectively: the church affords about 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1849.

The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £165, including 21 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester, and held since 1906 by the Rev. Frederic Philip de Freville B.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1874. The soil is clayey; subsoil, oolite rock. The chief crops are wheat, turnips and some land in pasture. The area is 1,300 acres; the population in 1911 was 555.

TUNLEY is 2 miles north-east; there is a building here which was formerly a Wesleyan chapel. Far Oakridge, 1 mile east; Water Lane, 1 mile north; Daneway, 1 mile and a half east. Avenings Green, 1 mile west, has been added to the new ecclesiastical parish of France Lynch.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Oakridge/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library