Olveston with Tockington & Awkley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

OLVESTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of LANGLEY-and-SWINEHEAD, county of GLOUCESTER, comprising the tythings of Olveston and Upper Tockington, and containing 1351 inhabitants, of which number, 681 are in the tything of Olveston, 3 miles (S.W.) from Thornbury. The living is a vicarage, to which that of Elberton was united, in 1767, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Bristol, rated in the king's books at £24, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The parish is partly bounded by the river Severn, and contains extensive strata of limestone.

TOCKINGTON (UPPER), a tything in the parish of OLVESTON, lower division of the hundred of LANGLEY-and-SWINEHEAD, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Thornbury, containing 670 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Olveston/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library