OxenhallExtract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries
OXENHALL, a parish in the hundred of BOTLOE, county of GLOUCESTER, 1 mile (N.N.W.) from Newent, containing 323 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £9. 12. 6., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church is dedicated to St. Anne. The Herefordshire and Gloucestershire canal passes through a tunnel, extending two thousand one hundred and ninety-two yards, in this parish.