Poulton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

POULTON, a parish in the hundred of HIGHWORTH-CRICKLADE-and-STAPLE, county of WILTS, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Fairford, containing 309 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Wilts, and diocese of Salisbury, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of T. Ingram, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. A Gilbertine priory, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded here, about 1347, by Sir Thomas de Sancto Mauro, or Seymor, which, at the dissolution, was valued at £20. 3. 2. per annum.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Poulton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library