Rodborough

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

RODBOROUGH, a chapelry in the parish of MINCHINHAMPTON, hundred of LONGTREE, county of GLOUCESTER, 1 mile (S.W. by W.) from Stroud, containing 2038 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Minchinhampton, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, and in the patronage of the Principal and Fellows of Brasenose College, Oxford. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was a chantry to the priory of Minchinhampton, whence it had formerly a subterraneous passage. There is a place of worship for Independents. The river Stroud, and the Thames and Severn canal, pass through the parish.

Henry King, in 1699, bequeathed the residue of his personal estate, in equal moieties, to the parish of Minchinhampton and to this chapelry, the proportion to each being about £25 a year: the parochial school, to which these sums have hitherto been paid, has been recently enlarged out of the funds of this charity. There is also a bequest of £100 three per cents., by Samuel Horrill, for teaching three girls, and another of £100 for teaching three boys, which, with accumulations from the sale of timber, &c., produce about £16 per annum. Here was born, in 1638, Richard Clutterbuck, who, though blind, was an extraordinary mechanical and musical genius; he also had the faculty of hearing in a remarkably acute manner.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Rodborough/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library