Rodmarton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

RODMARTON, a parish in the hundred of LONGTREE, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (W.S.W.) from Cirencester, containing 357 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £18. 1. 3., and in the patronage of the Rev. Daniel Lysons. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The old Akeman-street passes near the south-eastern boundary of the parish. In a field called Hocbery, a tesselated pavement, with coins of Antoninus and Valentinian, was discovered, in 1636. A farm-house at Hasleden, in this parish, is supposed to have been at one time a monastery; and attached to the old manor-house at Tarlton are the remains of a chapel. Samuel Lysons, F.R.S., and F.S.A., author of the "Environs of London", and joint author of the "Magna Britannia", was born here, in 1763.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Rodmarton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library