Sapperton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SAPPERTON, a parish in the hundred of BISLEY, county of GLOUCESTER, comprising the tythings of Frampton-Marshall and Sapperton, and containing 476 inhabitants, of which number, 295 are in the tything of Sapperton, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Cirencester. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £17, and in the patronage of Earl Bathurst. The church is dedicated to St. Kenelm. The Thames and Severn canal, in its course through this parish, is conducted by a tunnel four thousand one hundred and eighty feet long, underneath Hagley wood. At Frampton, two urns filled with denarii and copper coins, were discovered, in 1759, by the sinking of a wagon-wheel, near which spot are vestiges of an ancient camp, and south-east of it there was a beacon.

FRAMPTON, a tything in the parish of SAPPERTON, hundred of BISLEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Cirencester, containing 181 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Sapperton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library