Saul

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SAUL, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of WHITSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 9 miles (N.W. by W.) from Stroud, containing 467 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Standish. The church is dedicated to St. James. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The navigable river Severn runs on the northern side of the parish, through which passes the Thames and Severn, and the Gloucester and Berkeley, canals.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Saul/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library