Shurdington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SHURDINGTON (GREAT), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of DUDSTONE-and-KING'S-BARTON, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (S.W.) from Cheltenham, containing 102 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Badgeworth, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, and in the patronage of W.L. Lawrence, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Paul. On opening a large tumulus here a stone coffin was found, at the depth of sixteen feet, which contained the body of a man, with a helmet almost consumed by rust.

HATHERLEY (UP), a chapelry, joint with Great Shurdington, in the upper division of the hundred of DUDSTONE-AND-KINGS-BARTON, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (S.W. by S.) from Cheltenham, containing 32 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Shurdington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library