Siddington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SIDDINGTON, a village in the hundred of CROWTHORNE-and-MINETY, county of GLOUCESTER, 1 mile (S.S.E.) from Cirencester, containing 349 inhabitants, and comprising the united parishes of St. Mary and St. Peter, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester: the former is a rectory, rated in the king's books at £8. 12. 1.; and the latter, a discharged vicarage, rated at £5. 12. 3.; both being in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, exhibits portions in the several styles of English architecture, and some Norman remains; the south door and the arch leading into the chancel, in particular, are fine specimens of the former style. The river Churn, and the Thames and Severn canal, run through the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Siddington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library