Slimbridge

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SLIMBRIDGE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Dursley, containing 807 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £28. 2. 11., and in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Magdalene College; Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is a handsome structure with a fine spire. There is a place of worship for Independents. The Gloucester and Berkeley canal passes through the parish, and the Severn is navigable along the northwest boundary. Dr. Jenner, who discovered and introduced the practice of vaccination, was a native of this parish.

CAMBRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of SLIMBRIDGE, upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Dursley. The population is returned with the parish. In the reign of Edward the Elder a battle was fought here between the Saxons and the Danes, in which the former were victorious.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Slimbridge/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library