South Cerney

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CERNEY (SOUTH), a parish in the hundred of CROWTHORNE-and-MINETY, county of GLOUCESTER, 3¾ miles (S.E. by S.) from Cirencester, containing 922 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's hooks at £6. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to All Saints, consists of a nave, chancel, north aisle, and north transept, with a low central tower and spire; the south porch is of Norman architecture, with grotesque heads terminating the mouldings; between the nave and the chancel is a pointed arch rising from slender columns, the capitals of which are decorated with rich. foliage; the chancel, with a fine east window of three lights, is of later date than the other parts of the edifice. The Thames and Severn canal passes through this parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/SouthCerney/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library