Taynton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TAYNTON, a parish in the hundred of BOTLOE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (S.S.E.) from Newent, containing 516 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £9. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, has lately received an addition of one hundred-and sixty-one sittings, of which one hundred and thirty-seven are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £100 towards defraying the expense. Robert Aldridge, in 1737, bequeathed a rent-charge of £2. 10. for teaching four children to read the Bible.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Taynton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library