Tirley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TIRLEY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of DEERHURST, county of GLOUCESTER, 5½ miles (S.W. by W.) from Tewkesbury, containing, with the hamlet of Haw, 443 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Deerhurst, rated in the king's books at £9. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Matthew, is partly in the decorated and partly in the later style of English architecture. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The navigable river Severn flows through the parish, and is crossed at Haw by a handsome stone bridge, completed in 1824, on the new line of road leading from Cheltenham into Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, and South Wales. A National school has been established since 1817, and is supported by a small endowment, aided by annual subscriptions, and the proceeds of a sermon preached on the Sunday before Old Michaelmas-day.

HAW, a hamlet in the parish of TIRLEY, lower division of the hundred of DEERHURST, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (S.W. by S.) from Tewkesbury. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Tirley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library