Twyning

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TWINING, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, though locally in the, lower division of that of Tewkesbury, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Tewkesbury, containing, with Mythe and Mythe-hook, 849 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £7. 0. 7. endowed with £400 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £900 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, exhibits portions in the Norman style of architecture, and has lately received an addition of one hundred free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £30 towards defraying the expense. The navigable river Avon, which is here crossed by a ferry, separates this parish from Worcestershire.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Twyning/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library