Uley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ULEY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Dursley, containing 2655 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £12. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists. The manufacture of woollen cloth is extensively carried on here. On an eminence, north-west of the village, is an ancient encampment, called Uley Bury, where various Roman coins have been found.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Uley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library