Viney Hill

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

VINEY HILL is a village 3 miles north-east from Park End station on the Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge railway, and 1 mile from Blakeney. All Saints, Viney Hill, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish, September 18, 1866, from the townships of East and West Dean, and is in the Forest of Dean division of the county, union and county court district of Westbury-on-Severn, petty sessional division of Newnham, rural deanery of South Forest, and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. All Saints' church, consecrated in 1867, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch, and a bell cote over the chancel arch containing 2 bells: there are sittings for 420 persons. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £180, including 4 acres of glebe; with residence, in the gift of Lord Bledisloe K.B.E. and held since 1922 by the Rev. Charles Richard Williams, of Trinity College, Dublin. Much of the land belongs to the Crown. The population in 1911 was 1,816.

YORKLEY, a miles from Park End station, 2 from Whitecroft station on the Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge railway, 3 north from Lydney and 5 south-east from Coleford, is a large and scattered hamlet, partly in All Saints and partly in St. Paul's; some parts of the place are very steep; all the houses are detached and built in positions of grotesque irregularity. The inhabitants are chiefly employed at the coal mines in the neighbourhood. The hamlet is in the petty sessional division of Coleford. There is a Baptist chapel, built 1860, with 230 sittings, and Primitive Methodist and United Methodist chapels.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/VineyHill/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library