Woodmancote by Dursley

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

WOODMANCOTE chapelry forms part of the town [of Dursley]. The church of St. Mark, Woodmancote, erected in 1844 as a chapel of ease to the parish church, is a plain cruciform building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, transepts, north aisle, north porch, and a turret containing one bell: there is a memorial window to Mr. W. Cornock, of the Manor House, for 21 years chapel-warden: it has an endowment of about £60 yearly, derived from a house and land left by Henry Vizard esq. of Dursley. The parish churchyard at present in use, consisting of 1½ acres, is adjacent to this chapel, the graveyard around the parish church having been closed for interments for upwards of 50 years. There are almshouses at Woodmancote, built and endowed by Henry Vizard esq. for three poor men and three poor women; each inmate receives about 3s. 6d. per week: the same benefactor also left £1,000 to the Infants' school and £20 yearly for the poor: charities of about £60 yearly value are distributed in clothing, coal or bread: there are other charities, applied to educational and church purposes. Capt. N.J. Bengough is lord of the manor of Woodmancote.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Woodmancote/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library