Woolaston

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WOLLASTONE, a parish, forming, with Tidenham, a detached portion of the hundred of WESTBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (N.E.) from Chepstow, containing 884 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £13. 11. 5., and in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a small cruciform edifice, partly in the Norman style of architecture. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Severn. A National school was established about seven years ago, and is supported by subscription, aided by the sum of £2 per annum, bequeathed by Richard Clayton, in 1605.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Woolaston/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library