Abbeydore

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

DORE-ABBEY, a parish in the hundred of WEBTREE, county of HEREFORD, 12 miles (S.W. by W.) from Hereford, containing 523 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of John Hickford, Esq. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and St. Mary. An abbey of white monks, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded in the reign of Stephen, by Robert, son of Harold, lord of Ewyas, which consisted of an abbot and eight religious, whose revenue at the dissolution was valued at £118. 2.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Abbeydore/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library