Almeley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ALMELEY, a parish partly in the hundred of WOLPHY, but chiefly in the hundred of STRETFORD, county of HEREFORD, 5¼ miles (W.) from Weobley, containing, with the townships of Hopley's Green and Logaston, 699 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £6. 17. 11., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary: at a short distance from it are two tumuli. The petty sessions for the hundred are occasionally held here.

HOPLEYS-GREEN, a township in that part of the parish of ALMELEY which is in the hundred of WOLPHY, county of HEREFORD. The population is returned with the parish.

LOGASTON, a township in that part of the parish of ALMELEY which is in the hundred of WOLPHY, county of HEREFORD. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Almeley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library