Bishops Frome

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

FROOME (BISHOPS), a parish in the hundred of RADLOW, county of HEREFORD, comprising the townships of Bishop's Froome, Eggleton, Halmonds-Froome, Leadon, and Walton, and containing 897 inhabitants, of which number, 298 are in the township of Bishop's Froome, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Bromyard. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and. diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £8. 5. 10., and in the patronage of the Rev. John Hopton. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is an endowed free school.

EGGLETON, a township in the parish of BISHOPS-FROOME, hundred of RADLOW, county of HEREFORD, 9 miles (E.N.E.) from Hereford, containing 172 inhabitants.

FROOME (HALMONDS), a township in the parish of BISHOPS-FROOME, hundred of RADLOW, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Bromyard, containing 275 inhabitants.

WALTON, a township in the parish of BISHOP'S-FROOME, hundred of RADLOW, county of HEREFORD, 4 miles (S.) from Bromyard, containing 80 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/BishopsFrome/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library