Bishopswood

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

BISHOPSWOOD is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1845, from the parishes of Walford in Herefordshire and Ruardean in Gloucestershire, and is beautifully situated on the river Wye, surrounded by woodland, hills and rocks; it was formerly a preceptory of the priory of Goodrich, and is about 1 mile south-east from Kerne Bridge station (which is in the parish) on the Ross and Monmouth branch of the Great Western railway, and about 5 south from Ross, in the Southern division of the county, Greytree hundred, Ross county court district, union and petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Ross and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of All Saints, erected in 1845 and endowed by the late John Partridge esq. of Bishopswood House, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of nave, north porch and a small belfry containing 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1841.

The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £99, in the gift of Harry B. McCalmont esq. and held since 1889 by the Rev. Frederic Hooper Aldrich-Blake M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge. Here are also Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. Bishopswood house, the seat and property of Harry L.B. McCalmont esq. at present (1895) occupied by James Murray Bannerman esq. B.A., D.L., J.P. and some time since partially destroyed by fire, was restored in 1880, and is beautifully seated on a well-timbered estate, in the midst of a most picturesque country; a keeper's house, a Gothic tower on the Broadfield hill, immediately above the mansion, forms a prominent feature in the grounds, and commands some very extensive views.

The Coppice (formerly the Vicarage) is on the Bishopswood estate and the property of H.L.B. McCalmont esq. by whom it was restored and enlarged in 1891; it is occupied by Captain Walter St. Ives Partridge J.P. and is pleasantly situated on a hill above Bishopswood house and has an extensive park view: there are some fine stables behind the house; the Coppice Farm house and estate office on the Bishopswood estate is the property of H.L.B. McCalmont esq. who has recently (1894) remodelled and enlarged it; it is occupied by Mr. Howard G. Brain, sub-agent for the estate. The estate is renowned for the large quantity of game which is reared and shot; there are some large ponds frequented by wild duck. The population in 1891 was 386.

Sexton, William Williams.

Post Office.- Miss Jane Rodman, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Ross at 7.45 a.m. & 1.10 p.m. for callers; dispatched at 4.25 & 6 p.m.; sundays, 11.30 a.m. Walford is the nearest money order office & Lydbrook the nearest telegraph Office

Post Office, Howle Hill.- Richard Young, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Ross at 8 a.m.; dispatched 6.15 p.m. Ross is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Kerne Bridge Letter Box cleared at 4.45 & 6.20 p.m.; sundays, 11.50 a.m

Free School (mixed), built in 1846, for 100 children; average attendance, 60; Harry Halliday, master

Railway Station, Kerne Bridge, John Hunt, station master

Aldrich-Blake Rev. Frederic Hooper M.A. Vicarage
Bannerman James Murray B.A., D.L., J.P. Bishopswood house
Cockshott Miss, Hazelhurst
Currie Col. Albert Purcell, The Queach
Partridge Capt. Walter Croker St. Ives, J.P. The Coppice
Philips Miss, Hazelhurst
Russell Alfred James

COMMERCIAL.
Brain Howard G. sub-agent to H.L.B. McCalmont esq. Coppice farm
Brown James, farmer, Atlas farm
Gwatkin John, carpenter & beer retailr
Gwatkin Thos. farmer, The Dam farm
Jones James, farmer, Howle green
Little Charles, farmer
Little John E. Kerne Bridge inn
Meredith Thomas, farmer, Quabbs
Mills Charles, tiler
Surbey James & Co. coal merchants
Williams Alice (Mrs.), toll keeper, Kerne Bridge toll gate
[Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Bishopswood/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library