Clodock

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CLODOCK, a parish in the hundred of EWYASLACY, county of HEREFORD, 16 miles (S.W. by W.) from Hereford, comprising the chapelries of Crasswall, Llanveynoe, and Longtown, and the township of Newton, and containing 1796 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the archdeaconry of Brecon, and diocese of St. David's, and in the patronage of Walter Wilkins, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Cleodocus. Fairs are held on April 29th, June 22nd, and September 21st. Here is a school with an endowment of £4 per annum. The rivers Olchon and Munnow have their source in this parish, and the river Eskley runs through it. At Longtown are the remains of an ancient castle, formerly of great strength, and a Roman camp in a very perfect state.

CRASSWALL, a chapelry in the parish of CLODOCK, hundred of EWYASLACY, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (S.E.) from Hay, containing 374 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecon, and diocese of St. David, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Oxford. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. About the close of the reign of King John a monastery was founded here, probably by Walton de Lacy, for a prior and ten religious of the order of Grandmont in Normandy: at the seizure of Alien priories it was valued at 40s. per annum, and granted, in the 2nd of Edward IV., to God's House, now Christ's College, Cambridge. There is a fine stone quarry in the neighbourhood.

LLANVEYNOE, a chapelry in the parish of CLODOCK, hundred of EWYASLACY, county of HEREFORD, 17 miles (W.S.W.) from Hereford, containing 323 inhabitants.

LONGTOWN, a chapelry in the parish of CLODOCK, hundred of EWYASLACY, county of HEREFORD, 17 miles (S.W. by W.) from Hereford, containing 842 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecon, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. The Rev. James Rogers was patron in 1816. The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter. Courts baron for the parish and hundred are held here annually. Lewis Gilbert, Esq. bequeathed £4 per annum for the instruction of children. There are some few vestiges of a castle; and to the eastward is an eminence called Money Farthing hill, probably from coins having been found there.

NEWTON, a township in the parish of CLODOCK, hundred of EWYASLACY, county of HEREFORD, containing 257 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Clodock/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library