Croft

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CROFT, a parish in the hundred of WOLPHY, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (N.N.W.) from Leominster, containing, with the township of Newton, 119. inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacies of Elton and Yarpole united, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £7. 11. 3., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. James Keville. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. At Castle Parke, on an eminence to the north-west of the village, is Croft Ambrey, an ancient British camp, with a double ditch and rampart.

NEWTON, a township in the parish of CROFT, hundred of WOLPHY, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (N.W. by N.) from Leominster, containing 106 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Croft/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library