Dormington

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

DORMINGTON, with the chapelry and township of BARTESTREE, is a parish and straggling village, on the high road from Hereford to Worcester, by Ledbury, 5¼ miles east from Hereford, 9 north-west from Ledbury and 145 from London and 2 from Withington station on the Hereford, Ledbury and Worcester section of the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Greytree, Hereford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Hereford and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The river Frome flows through the parish. The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret with small octagonal shingled spire containing 3 bells: the church was restored in 1876, and re-pewed and the chancel rebuilt and vestry added, at a cost of nearly £1,500, under the direction of Mr. Thomas Blashill, architect, of London. The register dates from the year 1690.

The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Bartestree annexed, joint net yearly value £200, including 6 acres of glebe and 74 acres in other parishes, with residence, in the gift of Paul Henry Foley esq. and held since 1886 by the Rev. Alfred Norris of St. John's College, Cambridge. The charities of this parish amount to £7 yearly, arising from Consols. Dormington Court is now leased as a farm by Mr. George Henry Bray. Paul Henry Foley esq. of Stoke Edith Park, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is a red loam; subsoil, marl. There are several extensive hop grounds in this locality. Its area is 974 acres of land and 3 of water; rateable value £1,214: the population of Dormington in 1911 was 93, exclusive of Bartestree.

Sexton. E. Green.

Letters through Hereford. Wall Letter Box cleared at 10.35 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. Bartestree is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1 mile distant

The children of this place attend Lugwardine school

BARTESTREE is a chapelry and township in the parish of Dormington, from which place it is about 1¼ miles north-west; it is on the Hereford and Worcester road, via Ledbury. The church of St. James, seated amidst romantic scenery, is a small modern edifice of stone, in the Decorated style, and was entirely rebuilt in 1887 at a cost of £1,600, under the direction of Mr. T. Nicholson, architect of Hereford; it now consists of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry and a western turret containing one bell: the seats, pulpit and lectern are of oak: the west window is a memorial to the Misses Margaret and Harriet Norris, and there are six other stained windows, three of these being memorials to the Watkin and Preece families. The register dates from the year 1700. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to Dormington. The Catholic Convent of Our Lady of Charity and Refuge, founded in 1863 by the late Robert Biddulph Phillips esq. late of Longworth, originally built from designs by the late Mr. Pugin, was enlarged from plans by Mr. Chick, of Hereford, in 1881, and again in 1889 and 1895: the objects of the institution, which is conducted by ladies, are the reformation of fallen women and the preservation of those who are in danger of falling into bad courses: the establishment is supported partly by the revenues of the foundation and partly by the labour of the inmates in laundry work and the manufacture of underclothing: attached to the convent is a pre-Reformation chapel, restored by the late R. B. Phillips esq. about 1860, and removed from Longworth and re-erected here in 1870. Bartestree Court, an extensive farm, is at present occupied by Mr. Frederick W. Barling. The principal landowners are the Misses Hutchinson, of Hagley Park, and William Henry Barneby esq. of Brockington Grange, Bromyard, and Longworth, Hereford. The area is 421 acres. which is applied to arable, pasture, meadow and hops; rateable value, £980; the population in 1911 was 278. including 214 inmates in the convent.

Post, M.O. & T. & Telephone Call Office. - Martin Brace, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Hereford at 6.45 a.m. & 6.5 p.m.; dispatched at 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.: no delivery on sunday

Wall Letter Box, The Cottage, cleared at 10.55 a.m. & 5.40 p.m. week days only

The children at this place attend the school at Lugwardine

DORMINGTON.
Cope Rev. Alfred Norris M.A. & district councillor & guardian for Dormington & Stoke Edith, Vicarage
Morris Herbert, Prior's court

COMMERCIAL.
Apperley James, farmer, Wootton
Biggs James, Prospect farm
Bray George Henry, farmer & hop grower & pedigree cattle breeder & estate agent & valuer, Dormington court. T N 19 Bartestree
Davies William Henry, breeder of pure bred Hereford cattle & pedigree. Ryeland sheep; farmer, hop & fruit grower, Claston (Telegrams, "Bartestree"; Telephone No. 9 Bartestree); & Pigeon house, Weston Beggard, Hereford. See advertisement

BARTESTREE.
Berrow Herbert John, Pomona house
Delhaise Rev. Hubert Joseph, Convent of Our Lady of Charity & Refuge
Kemish Herbert, The Cottage

COMMERCIAL.
Barling Frederick W. farmer & hop grower & cider merchant, Bartestree court. T N 6 Bartestree
Convent of Our Lady of Charity & Refuge (Rev. Hubert Joseph Delhaise, chaplain: Rev. Mother Alphonse Newton, superioress)
Roe Matthew, farm bailiff to Owen G.S. Croft esq. Pomona farm
West James Clulow, farmer, Lower Bartestree
[Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Dormington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library