Fownhope

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

FOWNHOPE, a parish in the hundred of GREYTREE, county of HEREFORD, 7 miles (S.E.) from Hereford, containing 866 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the vicarage of Woolhope and the perpetual curacy of Fawley, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford rated in the king's books at £6. 9 9½, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The village is pleasantly situated on the east bank of the Wye. About half a mile to the north of it is an eminence crowned by an ancient camp; and not far distant is a second camp, occupying the summit of another eminence, called Capler-hill: the latter is double-trenched and called Woldbury; the former has no distinct appellation. The Capler-hill is finely wooded, and from its summit the prospects are rich and extensive.

FAWLEY, a chapelry in the parish of FOWNHOPE, hundred of GREYTREE, county of HEREFORD, 8 miles (N. by W.) from Ross. The chapel is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Fownhope/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library