Kilpeck

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

KILLPECK, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of WORMELOW, county of HEREFORD, 8 miles (S.W.) from Hereford, containing 265 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £4. 11. S., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. David, has some fine portions in the Norman style of architecture. It was given by Hugh Fitzwilliam (whose family assumed the name of Kilpec), son of the Conqueror, to the abbey of St. Peter, Gloucester, in 1134, and became a cell of Black monks subordinate thereto till its suppression. The ancient castle of the Kilpecs fell early to ruin, since, in the time of Edward 1. a part only of the walls was remaining.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Kilpeck/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library