St Katherine's Almshouses, Ledbury

Recent Photograph of St Katherine's Almshouses (Ledbury)

St Katherine's Hospital Almshouses - two wings, the right hand side built by Sir Robert SMIRKE in 1822, and the left a later addition, in 1866. The building replaced earlier half-timbered houses first built when the brethren abandoned communal life in St Katherine's Chapel, which had been founded by Hugh Foliot, Bishop of Hereford for ‘Wayfarers and the Poor’ in 1232.

The War Memorial may be seen in front of the main entrance. A side view of St Katherine's Almshouses provides additional commentary on the Chapel.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 2nd July 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Ledbury/Almshouses.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library