Marden

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MARDEN, a parish in the hundred of BROXASH, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (N.N.E.) from Hereford, containing, with the chapelry of Amberley, 815 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £5. 13. 5., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. Ethelbert, stands on the banks of the Lugg, over the spot where King Ethelbert was buried, and where a well, which still exists, is superstitiously said to have miraculously sprung up at the time the edifice was dedicated to his memory.

AMBERLEY, a chapelry in the parish of MARDEN, hundred of BROXASH, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (N.N.E.) from Hereford, containing 34 inhabitants.

FROMEHAMPTON, a township in the parish of MARDEN, hundred of BROXASH, county of HEREFORD 5 miles (N.N.E.) from Hereford. The population is returned with the parish.

WISTESTON, a chapelry in the parish of MARDEN, hundred of BROXASH, county of HEREFORD, 7 miles (N. by E.) from Hereford. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Hereford, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant. W.C. Hayton, Esq. was patron in 1810.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Marden/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library