Rotherwas

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

On the banks of the river Wye is ROTHERWAS, the seat of Count L. Lubienski-Bodenham D L , J.P. a cousin of the late Mrs. Bodenham, widow of Charles De la Barre Bodenham esq. whose ancestors made this their principal residence for many centuries. The mansion, a spacious and handsome edifice, was built in 1731 by the great-great-grandfather of the late Mrs. Bodenham, on the site of the older mansion, a portion of which still remains. The hall contains some very fine carved oak wainscoting taken from the older mansion and a curious old chimney piece dated 1613 with an escutcheon in the centre on which are quartered the family arms.

The prospect from Rotherwas is terminated on the south-west by an eminence called "Dinedor Hill", on which are the traces of a Roman camp, said to have been occupied by the Roman general Ostorious Scapula; the views from this spot are extremely fine, and the hill itself is cultivated to the extreme verge of the entrenchment, the bank of which is covered with underwood. Count L. Lubienski-Bodenham is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is sandy loam and gravel; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are oats, wheat, barley, beans, and a small quantity of hops. The area is 1,678 acres; rateable value, £3,508; the population in 1891 was 270.
[Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Rotherwas/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library