Rowlestone

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ROWLSTONE, a parish in the hundred of EWYASLACY, county of HEREFORD, 13 miles (S.W. by W.) from Hereford, containing 145 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Brecon, and diocese of St. David, endowed with £800 royal bounty. Mrs. Price was patroness in 1803. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. A court leet is occasionally held here. Limestone is obtained in the neighbourhood, and the soil in general is well adapted for the cultivation of apples, of which cider is made. Six boys of the parish are entitled to be taught free in Grosmont school.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Rowlestone/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library