Shobdon

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SHOBDON, a parish in the hundred of STRETFORD, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (E.S.E.) from Presteigne, containing 536 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £5. 7. 11., and in the patronage of William Hanbury, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is the burial-place of the Bateman family; it was partially rebuilt, in 1757, by John Viscount Bateman. A court leet is annually held here. Two schools, one for boys, the other for girls, are supported by Mr. and Mrs. Hanbury. Near the church is a mount, called Castle Hill, encompassed with a moat supposed to be the remains of a Roman, or Danish, fortification.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Shobdon/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library