Titley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TITLEY, a parish in the hundred of WIGMORE, county of HEREFORD, 3 miles (N.E. by E.) from Kington, containing 304 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £600 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was erected about sixty years ago, on the site of that which belonged to a priory of Benedictine monks, founded as a cell to the abbey of Tyrone in France, of which there are no vestiges, except the moat that encompassed it, and a remarkably fine spring of water, still called the Priory well. A National school was established here before 1826, when Lady Coffin Greenly erected a new school-house, with the aid of £80 granted by the National School Society. Courts leet and baron are occasionally held here.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Titley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library