Yarpole

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

YARPOLE, a parish in the hundred of WOLPHY county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (N.N.W.) from Leominster, containing, with the township of Bircher, 622 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Croft, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £200 private benefaction and £200 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. Courts leet and baron are occasionally held here. A school, established about 1817, and now attended by one hundred and ten children, is supported by subscription, aided by a small endowment.

BIRCHER, a township in the parish of YARPOLE, hundred of WOLPHY, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Leominster. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Yarpole/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library